Friday, February 27, 2009

Encourage yourself with good scents

I was reading on a website for caregivers and someone mentioned that if they were changing a parent's dirty linens, they would light a candle to help change what they smelled. That immediately got my attention because I am really affected by scents.

Have you ever had one of those times when you feel blah or even bad, then you smell something good, or fresh and clean, and your mood lifts? I have!

I find that aromatherapy really changes my mood and helps give me a lift during the day. If the weather is dreary or I just feel blah, I light a great candle (or several, often in different rooms I'm working in or walking through) and it makes a real difference.

Another easy and inexpensive way to make the house smell wonderful is to make my own simmer pot on the stove. I use whatever herbs/spices I choose, and everyone who walks into the house notices it right away. They usually comment with a smile or ask, "What smells so good?"

I like that response! It's a simple way to positively affect others. It's a small encouragement in their day and mine.

My favorite simmer technique is a small pot of water with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and perhaps some orange or lemon peels, or a citrus-y teabag. It works wonders on my mood, especially during the fall and winter. And it smells as good as if I'm baking something yummy, but I save myself a few calories (and time!) by just creating the smell instead of the dessert. :-D

Try it! Then tell me how you use aromatherapy to brighten your day!

Blessings!
Joan
Caregiver at Home
http://www.CaregiverEncouragement.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment