Friday, February 13, 2009

Help! How do I make this transition?

Are you in the middle of deciding to be a caregiver for someone? Are you moving them in with you? Moving them nearer to your home, like across the street or into the same town? Will the person be in a professional facility that you will visit several times a week?

How are you doing? What are your thoughts? Does anything about this make you afraid or worried?Are you feeling a little overwhelmed?

If so, ask away. Just having someone to ask questions who has been down this road just ahead of you helps a whole lot.

It also helps to have someone just listen to how you're feeling.

I remember when my then-81-year-old mom broke her arm the first time, which was just over two years ago. That particular morning stands crystal clear in my memory. I realized that my life would never be the same. Mama needed help. My help. There were no other children, just me.

The day I knew would "eventually" come had arrived. It thundered over me, actually. It didn't arrive quietly. It took my breath away.

My husband and I had just become empty nesters a few months before that, and all of a sudden the nest was full again. This time it wouldn't be our teens, it would be an aging parent. I was suddenly smack-dab in the middle of a sandwich--the sandwich generation.

Like I said, it took my breath away.

How are you feeling? Talk to me.

Blessings,

Joan

Caregiver at Home

http://www.CaregiverEncouragement.com

No comments:

Post a Comment