Friday, March 13, 2009

Banana Blueberry muffins

Hey there!

I found a great recipe that I wanted to share with you. It is simple and delicious, and my mom really loves snacking on these muffins. I've found that having yummy, appealing, fresh snacks is a serious part of my nutrition plan for Mama. Most elderly folks don't eat much at one sitting, but seem to graze off and on all day. That's how Mama is, and I try to make the calories count by providing treats that not only appeal but pack a nutritional punch.

I also make a yummy cinnamon/walnut/raisin cookie recipe that Mama loves, which I'll share soon. It makes enough so that I can freeze a few dozen and Mama can thaw out a couple anytime she likes. They still taste moist and fresh. Our granddaughter loves them, too! It definitely beats what I can usually find in a box on the snack aisle!

Enjoy!

Blessings,
JoanCaregiver at Home
http://www.CaregiverEncouragement.com/

Banana Blueberry muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium bananas)
1/2 cup ripe or frozen blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Add mashed bananas, blueberries, sour cream, egg, vanilla, and walnuts; stir until just combined. The mixture will seem very dry at first, but as you stir it will moisten nicely. Don't overmix.
3. Spoon into prepared muffin pan.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes until done.

Makes about 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment