Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Container gardening to boost elderly nutrition

One thing I plan to do this year is learn how to grow vegetables in containers. I'm interested for two reasons:

1) Mom will benefit from eating fresh produce, plus she loves to garden but can't tackle weeding, and
2) I'm interested in providing pesticide-free produce for our table.

When I think of gardening, I automatically begin thinking about fresh tomatoes. If you’re from the South, you probably have eaten tomato sandwiches or you have at least heard of them. Well, at least I used to eat them, back when tomatoes tasted like tomatoes instead of like today’s mass-produced, cardboard-flavored version. Other than being colorful, tomatoes don’t have any resemblance to the ones I remember when I was growing up. Today's are flavorless! The ones we ate when I was growing up came out of my aunts' and grandparents' gardens and the flavor was nothing like those I find at today's grocery store.

Many a summertime lunch or supper consisted of a tomato sandwich and a glass of iced tea. I rarely drink the sweet tea these days, but I surely do miss a sandwich made of ripe tomatoes with a little mayo and sprinkled with salt and pepper. My husband’s favorite sandwich is a BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato), and when I can find home-grown, fresh tomatoes I will serve BLTs for a couple of days because they’re such a treat.

I know that probably sounds goofy, but there you have it. Some favorites just never grow old.

Now I end up buying cherry tomatoes instead of the larger ones because at least the small ones have been vine-ripened. They taste good, but I don't like the pesticides used to grow them. Therefore, I decided to begin my container gardening adventure by planting tomatoes.

Since it’s March, it’s time to plant here in North Florida. This morning I hit the jackpot for information about growing fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes indoors in my own containers. This article was written by a cooperative extension agent and has great suggestions. I can’t wait to get started! I plan to try both cherry tomatoes and the regular big ones; I’ll try some indoors and some outside and let you know how they do.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/VegFruit/tomatind.htm

If you have some suggestions for growing tomatoes in containers, please share with us!

Blessings,
Joan
Caregiver at Home
http://www.CaregiverEncouragement.com/

4 comments:

  1. New to your site. You do a wonderful work.

    Here is a site about Container Tomato Gardening.

    Great Luck to you!!!

    http://www.container-gardening-for-you.com/how-to-grow-tomatoes.html

    You might have to copy and paste the site address into you your browser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link; it's a great site and I've already gotten some help with some of my tomato questions. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work you are doing over in the US I have listed a couple of links that may be give you some food for thought?

    Keep up the good work

    Malcolm
    Leeds Yorkshire UK

    http://www.instaplanta.co.uk/healthcare-benefits.html

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukVUVpaUFQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful containers, Mal. Thank you for sharing the info! ~Joan

    ReplyDelete