Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Helpful gardening site

Someone shared a great gardening site with me and I wanted to post it here. It's called ArcaMax and I like it for several reasons. They offer an alphabetized list of plants you can search on, along with the standard search box, so if you want to look up something particular and you can't quite remember the name, then click on the letter tab (for instance, "B" for bird of paradise) and scroll down through all the plants listed. It's a pretty comprehensive list and I was glad to find what I needed about replanting Mama's bird of paradise.

Also, there is a free newsletter you can sign up for. ArcaMax will send tips to you regularly. I received one today with tips for planting asparagus, which I printed for Mom to use. We have several asparagus plants that need to be moved, so this gives us a good idea where to place them.

ArcaMax is an unlikely name, but it's a great tool. Enjoy! http://www.arcamax.com/gardening/

In the meantime, the potted spinach and lettuce plants are thriving! We'll have fresh salad tonight with the crockpot chicken I have cooking right now. Yum--fresh and pesticide free lettuce and spinach. How easy is that?

Mom's outside right now working in her garden. It's good exercise in fresh air, and just about all an 83-year-old can handle. She loves it and putters there several times a day. Mom's a nurturer at heart; now that the kids are all grown the garden is her new 'baby.' The young plants are all responding well to her good care, weeds are non-existent for now, and she's enjoying her hobby. I'm glad it's working out.

How are you doing? What helps you or your loved one while you're busy caring for them? I'd love to hear from you, so write back! :-D

Blessings,
Joan
Caregiver at Home
http://www.CaregiverEncouragement.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment