Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Another passion...

I want to segue today and encourage another group of folks. I can't stop thinking about this with all of the current news from Afghanistan. I will return to caregiving on my next post, I promise!

I have many passions, but one that is very near and dear to my heart is to encourage moms/wives/family/friends of our U.S. military. I'm a Marine Mom of an awesome young man and, along with my husband, have attended several deployments and homecomings at Camp Lejeune, NC. Our son is in his final few months in the Corps, and will soon be a civilian again. However, the fresh memories and experience of having a son deployed as an infantryman to Afghanistan makes me continue to think about, pray for, and want to encourage military families wherever they are. Sending care packages to A'stan and waiting and hoping for a phone call, however brief and static-filled, was our mode of operation for many months in 2008-2009. When I hear the news about the fighting that's going on, it still rocks my heart for those here who wait to hear from their loved ones. Even though our son has been home nearly a year, we never take it for granted when we see him or hear his voice. Hardest of all, we continue to remember and honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our safety and freedom. We will not forget.

Please know I'm praying for you and with you, and for your Marines, sailors, soldiers, and airmen and women wherever they are. Please thank them for their service on my behalf. They are American Heroes.

The place I get my news of Afghanistan--Michael Yon is an embedded reporter who will tell you the truth about how things are going:
http://www.michaelyon-online.com

A favorite music video--we proudly display a round USMC bumper sticker on each of our vehicles, so I get what Chely Wright is singing about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mtVU_IcL8M

A terrific support group for Marine families is Tampa Area Marine Parent Association (T.A.M.P.A.). They've been a godsend to our family as we have travelled the military service path, especially during deployments:
http://www.usmcfamilysupport.org/Home.asp

If you want to email me to talk, please do. I continue to mail care packages and do other small acts of service in an effort to help our deployed troops and veterans. Having someone to share the ups and downs of having a loved one in the military was and is critical. I get it. Let me know how you're doing.

Blessings,
Joan
Caregiver at Home

No comments:

Post a Comment