Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Big Bend Area Support Group Meetings & Schedule/Location Info

Okay, I've talked about the support group I attend, and I'm serious about suggesting those to you because of the help you can receive. First, it's really good to be able to take a few moments for yourself, once in a while. Second, it's incredibly helpful to listen to and talk to others who are walking in your shoes. They may be far ahead of you on the path, if you're new to caregiving, or they may be alongside or new on the path themselves. You may be able to help and encourage them by your experience(s), and they may be able to do the same for you. I find both to be true.

At any rate, I received a schedule of the Big Bend Area Support Group Meetings from Patrick Buerkle of Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare's Neuroscience Center. Judy Shipman and Patrick are the facilitators/coordinators of the monthly support group I attend, and Patrick kindly shared with me the schedule he put together. I told him I wanted to put this on my blog so that hopefully others can find it and refer to it when needed.

We are very blessed to have many support groups available in our Big Bend Area, including Franklin, Gadsden, Holmes, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, and Madison Counties. There's pretty much something for everyone, and I'm still learning about more and adding them to the list. There are groups ranging from Caregiving as a whole, to Multiple Sclerosis, Brain Injury, Parkinson's, Stroke Support, Alzheimer's, and more. Since meeting places are spread across several counties, hopefully you will be able to find one that fits your location.

If you look on the bottom left side of my blog page, you'll find the schedule. If you have any questions, additions, or corrections, please email me at CaregiverEncouragement@gmail.com and I'll update the list. Check back from time to time to make sure you have the latest info. I will do my best to keep this up-to-date.

I hope this helps someone else as much as it has helped me.

Joan
Caregiver At Home
CaregiverEncouragement@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Just read about a conference taking place in Florida where they will show "I Remember Better When I Paint," a documentary film about how creative arts help those with Alzheimer's. The film and conference sound interesting and useful for caregivers. Here is link in case you are interested:http://irememberbetterwhenipaint.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Deb. I will share this info with our local Neuroscience Center staff. This is an interesting idea.

    Best wishes!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete