Thursday, September 23, 2010

A little humor is good for the caregiving soul...

Okay, I've been talking about how important it is for us to keep a good sense of humor. That's true for life in general, but I find it to be particularly good medicine for the caregiving soul. We've been sharing funny moments on our Facebook page, and many other caregivers have great stories about things the loved one they're caring for has said. We also end up with a lot of good quips and quotes from the grandkids. A couple of days ago, our granddaughter made me laugh out loud with an unexpected comment, and I thought it might make you laugh, too...

Our little granddaughter is three, and earlier this week she was over for a visit. She had a new pair of shoes, and after they finally began to feel a little "new" and tight, she kicked them off. We were sitting on the couch together and she stuck her little bare feet next to my bigger bare feet, and with all seriousness in the way that only very little children can manage, she asked me why my feet were bigger than hers. I told her, "My feet are bigger than yours because I'm old, and you're new." She looked me over from head to toe for a couple of moments, then said, "Grandma, my feet *are* new!"

Cracks me up. Does anyone remember Art Linkletter's show, "Kids Say the Darndest Things?" I loved that show when I was young, and now I know exactly what he was talking about! :-O

I'd love for you to share some of your funny stories here. I'll definitely save them so I can come back and re-read them when I need an extra dose of humor. On those extra-busy or sometimes frustrating caregiving days, a good chuckle is good medicine!

Blessings,
Joan
Caregiver at Home
www.CaregiverEncouragement.com

1 comment:

  1. That's true a good sense of humor is a good medicine for the care giving soul.

    ReplyDelete