Thursday, October 7, 2010

Enjoying a little "me" time...

Okay, I have to admit I'm playing and having a little bit of fun today. I've just located a few Facebook pages for Alton Brown and one of his shows, Good Eats. I never remotely expected to like or ever watch television programs about cooking, but watching some of his shows (and a few other television cooks) has helped me relax. It has become part of my "me" therapy. How strange is that?

It's true, though. I enjoy watching the shows, though sometimes I just fast-forward through them if I'm short on time, and copy recipe ideas for future meals. It's a little pick-me-up during the day, and in turn, I use the knowledge I've gained to help me cook better for Mama and my family. I think my family likes it, too (most of the time, unless I choose to make a recipe that they think is kinda strange).

This week I tried a sauteed shrimp and cheese grits recipe I saw on one of Alton's America's Best shows. I don't love cheese grits as a rule, but the presentation of this dish at a Charleston, SC restaurant just looked so yummy that I had to try it. It was a hit, and I know the next time we're in Charleston, we'll definitely drop in and try their signature dish firsthand.

So when I'm watching Alton and the other celebrity chefs, I'm learning something new for my own edification, planning a future vacation stop, relaxing by cooking something fun and different in my own home, and surprising Mama and my family by trying out new recipes that both nourish and delight them. It's a win-win for me.

Okay, so I'll admit this is kind of an odd pastime, but it works. It falls within my available timeframes, skillset, and interests, and best of all, it's relaxing and rewarding. As a caregiver, it works great during this season of my life. It amazes me how a simple hobby can help alleviate caregiver stress and burnout, one recipe at a time.

What are some of the things you do for "me" time? I'd love to hear your ideas and I'd also love to know how it helps you as a caregiver.

Thank you for sharing!
Joan
Caregiver at Home
www.CaregiverEncouragement.com

No comments:

Post a Comment