Saturday, October 9, 2010

I'd like you to meet Norm...

I've recently learned about a gentleman named Norm, or Norrms to his Facebook friends, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the very young age of 50. Norm is a husband, father, and grandfather who writes about his ongoing experience with Alzheimer's. He's also British, and was interviewed by the BBC this week. You can listen to his interview here:
Norms_BBC_Interview.

If you also have a family member with Alzheimer's, I recommend getting to know Norm and being encouraged by his fight, his experience, his good results with a drug called Ebixa, his books, and his poetry. There's something very special about reading Norm's own words concerning all of this.

You can get to know Norm from his blog and his website. He talks about the first signs he had, his experience of finding out his diagnosis, and what his days are like. His words are honest and upbeat, and they reveal Norm's sense of humor throughout his battle.

I've just ordered two of Norm's books, Me and my Alzheimer's and More Than Words: Poems written and spoken by an Alzheimers sufferer. If you're caring for someone with Alzheimer's, Norm has an amazing story to tell and I hope you are encouraged.

People like Norm who have real stories about their dementia or Alzheimer's experiences, whether their own or those of someone for whom they are caregiver, have become part of my support group. I don't always have time to go to my local meetings (and yesterday I was busy running errands and forgot it altogether, so I'll have to wait a month!), but I need the ongoing companionship of people who are walking in the same shoes I am. So we encourage one another online, and it helps tremendously. If you'd like to join in our online support group, you can find us on Facebook here.

Thank you, Norrms. I'm so glad you're sharing your story with us.

Blessings,
Joan
Caregiver at Home
www.CaregiverEncouragement.com

No comments:

Post a Comment